Canadian Renewable Energy Association respects and protects the privacy of our Employees and our Members and Clients and takes great care to safeguard confidentiality, security and privacy of employee, member and client information. We recognize that collecting, using, and disclosing personal information in an appropriate, responsible, and ethical manner is fundamental to the Canadian Renewable Energy Association’s daily operations and that employees at one time or another may receive personal, privileged and/or confidential information which may concern other employees, company operations, members or clients.
Concerns or complaints related to privacy issues must be made, in writing, to the CEO setting out the details of the concern or complaint. The CEO will investigate the matter and make a determination related to the resolution of the concern(s) or complaint(s).
- The Policy applies to personal information collected, used, or disclosed by the Canadian Renewable Energy Association including personal information of Association employees, members and clients.
- The Policy applies to the management of personal information in any form – oral, electronic or written.
- Personal information is defined as any identifying information about an individual or group of individuals, including – name, date of birth, address, phone number, e-mail address, social insurance number, nationality, gender, health history, financial data, assets, debts, liabilities, payment, credit and loan records and personal views.
- Business information is treated and handled with the same level of confidentiality, privacy, and respect as personal information. Additionally, business information includes but is not limited to job titles, structure, business registration numbers, and financial status.
- Consent is obtained when an individual signs the application or other form containing personal information, thereby authorizing collection, use, and disclosure of information for the purposes stated on the form or in the Appropriate Use section of this policy.
- Implied consent is granted when an individual signs the application or form. This allows the Canadian Renewable Energy Association to obtain information from third parties (such as banks, insurance companies, etc.) in the process of assessing the eligibility of a member, client, job applicant, or business partner.
The Canadian Renewable Energy Association collects and uses personal information solely for the purpose of conducting business and developing an understanding of its members and clients. The Canadian Renewable Energy Association hereby asserts that personal information will only be used for the following purposes:
- to establish and maintain responsible commercial relations and provide ongoing service
- to understand member’s and clients’ needs and suitability for services
- to develop, enhance, market or provide products and services
- to manage and develop the Canadian Renewable Energy Association’s business and operations, including employment matters and
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association assumes full accountability for the personal information within its possession and control and has appointed the VP – Business Development, Finance and Operations as custodian of all privacy matters and legal compliance with privacy laws.
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association obtains personal information directly from the individual to which the information belongs. Individuals are entitled to know how the Canadian Renewable Energy Association uses personal information and the Canadian Renewable Energy Association will limit the use of any personal information collected only to what is needed for those stated purposes. The Canadian Renewable Energy Association will obtain individual consent if personal information is to be used for any other purpose. The Canadian Renewable Energy Association will not use that information without the consent of the individual.
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association will retain personal information only for the duration it is needed for conducting business. Once personal information is no longer required, it will be destroyed in a safe and secure manner. However, certain laws may require that certain personal information be kept for a specified amount of time. Where this is the case, the law will supersede this policy.
- In most instances, the Canadian Renewable Energy Association will grant individuals access to their personal information upon presentation of a written request and satisfactory identification. If an individual finds errors of fact with his/her personal information, please notify rhe Canadian Renewable Energy Association as soon as possible to make the appropriate corrections. Should the Canadian Renewable Energy Association deny an individual’s request for access to his/her personal information, the Association will advise in writing of the reason for such a refusal. The individual may then challenge the decision.
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association vows to protect personal information with the appropriate security measures, physical safeguards, and electronic precautions. The Canadian Renewable Energy Association maintains personal information through a combination of paper and electronic files. Where required by law or disaster recovery/business continuity policies, older records may be stored in a secure, offsite location.
- Access to personal information will be authorized only for the employees and other agents of the Canadian Renewable Energy Association who require the information to perform their job duties, and to those otherwise authorized by law.
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association’s computer and network systems are secured by complex passwords. Only authorized individuals may access secure systems and databases.
- Active files are kept in locked filing cabinets.
- Routers and servers connected to the Internet are protected by a firewall, and protected by virus attacks or “snooping” by sufficient software solutions.
- Personal information is not transferred to volunteers, summer students, interns, or other non-paid staff by e-mail or any other electronic format.
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association may use personal information without the individual’s consent under particular circumstances. These situations include, but are not limited to:
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association is under obligation by law to disclose personal information in order to adhere to the requirements of an investigation of the contravention of a regional or federal, under the purview of the appropriate authorities.
- An emergency exists that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security.
- The personal information is for in-house statistical study or research.
- The personal information is already publicly available.
- Disclosure is required to investigate a breach of contract.
- Personally identifiable information about the individual that is collected from the website or through affiliate sites.
- Information about the organization collecting the data and how data will be used.
- With whom the data may or may not be disclosed.
- What options are available to the individual regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information.
- Any registration or order form asking site visitors to enter personal or financial information will be protected by SSL encryption.
- Site visitors are given the choice to opt out of having their personal information used at the point where the information is gathered.
- The information technology security procedures in place that protect against the destruction, loss, theft, alteration, or misuse of personal information under Canadian Renewable Energy Association possession and control.
- How the individual may access and correct personal information inaccuracies.
- The Canadian Renewable Energy Association may share compiled demographic information with its business partners and/or advertisers, but not personal information that can identify an individual.
- This website may contain links to other sites, but The Canadian Renewable Energy Association is not responsible for the privacy practices of other organizations’ sites.
- While IP addresses will be logged in order to administer the site, track visitor movement, and gather demographic information, these IP addresses will not be linked to any personally identifiable information.
Employee obligation to protect the Canadian Renewable Energy Association’s confidential information continues after employment with the Association has terminated. Upon termination of employment or contract, or reassignment all confidential information and documents, including electronic records, and all third-party information entrusted to the Canadian Renewable Energy Association must be returned and employee must not disclose any such information. This continuing obligation is particularly important in the case of a departing employee who subsequently works for one of the Canadian Renewable Energy Association’s competitors.