Canada has only begun to scratch the surface of its vast and untapped wind and solar energy resources. At the end of 2023, we had 21.9 GW of wind energy, solar energy and energy storage installed capacity across Canada.
For more information on the current state of the industry, growth and forecasts, see CanREA’s most recent annual data release:
For a list of the country’s commercial scale wind energy sites plus solar energy and energy storage projects over one MW in size, see CanREA’s most recent table of project data:
Facts at a Glance
- Overall, the wind, solar and energy storage sector grew by a steady 11.2% this year.
- Canada now has an installed capacity of 21.9 GW of wind energy, solar energy and energy storage installed capacity.
- The industry added 2.3 GW of new installed capacity in 2023, including more than 1.7 GW of new utility-scale wind, nearly 360 MW of new utility-scale solar, 86 MW of new on-site* solar, and 140 MW / 190 MWh of energy storage.
- Looking ahead, there are tremendous opportunities for growth in these industries as the nation works to meet 2035 and 2050 net-zero targets.
- CanREA is working hard to unlock massive opportunities for renewable energy in the coming years.
Social media shareables
Here is a library of “By the Numbers” highlights formatted as social media shareables. Click the icon under one of the boxes to share it on your Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn profile!