WHO WE ARE
“Powering Economies and Communities”
TransAlta owns, operates, and develops a diverse fleet of electrical generation assets in Canada, the United States and Australia, providing municipalities, industries, and businesses with safe, low-cost, and reliable clean electricity. For over 100 years, TransAlta has been a responsible operator and proud community-member where its employees work and live. We are committed to fostering a dynamic, productive, and safe work environment. Our employees contribute to a diverse, open, and transparent culture with clear accountabilities, strong leadership, and challenging opportunities for personal career growth.
For more information about TransAlta, visit our website at, www.transalta.com.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are currently seeking an experienced Wind Technician to join our team at Soderglen. Our Soderglen wind farm is located 20 kilometres southwest of Fort Macleod in southern Alberta. Click here to learn more about Soderglen.
As the Wind Technician, you are to ensure safe and reliable operation and maintenance of our Sogerglen wind farm; through application of operating/maintenance standards, procedures and processes that ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. You will develop and implement operations and maintenance strategies up to a three-month time span. In addition, you are accountable from providing leadership through developing, implementing and managing the daily to three- month business plan in alignment with the Supervisor’s business plan. You are also accountable to ensure the portfolio adheres to TransAlta’s operating model.
This is a full-time salaried, safety sensitive position. The successful candidate will be required to complete pre-employment testing.
ACCOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILTIES
As the Wind Technician, you will:
- Ensure optimal performance through daily work scheduling, planning, and implementation of maintenance, service, and repair of wind turbine equipment through a team of wind technicians and contractors capable of producing the agreed deliverables.
- Support the daily to three-month business plan in alignment with the Supervisor’s business plan through driving operational performance, achievement of business results and continuous improvement.
- Ensure operational compliance to EHS, NERC, OHS, etc., plant availability, and cost standards through daily review of work orders for accuracy, completeness, and inventory updates; daily facility metric reporting and accurate record keeping; and monitoring of Synergi report entering and record keeping
- Drive for results in the areas of safety, compliance, plant availability, and cost through providing technical support and assistance to wind technicians; ensuring all routine and preventative maintenance is performed accurately, on time, and of a high quality and documented.
- Identifying and mitigating risk that could negatively impact the agreed to outcomes or business results and identifying and realizing opportunities that could positively impact the agreed to outcomes or business results.
- Establish a collaborative work environment within the team, peers, stakeholders and support groups to ensure issues may be resolved in a professional and productive manner.
- Deliver after-hours support (on call) as needed to support the site in close working relationship with the Wind Control Centre and the Supervisor.
To be successful in this role, we are looking for the following must-have qualifications and experience:
- Appropriate trade certification in a related discipline with years of related progressive experience
- Comprehensive understanding of concepts and principles within own discipline and knowledge of others
- Thorough understanding of the operational aspects of the plant – technical, compliance, and financial
- Plant risk and related mitigation strategies
- Understanding of site contractual obligations, procurement processes, and vendor qualifications
- Has strong understanding of how related teams coordinate their efforts and resources to achieve objectives.
- Demonstrated capability to:
- Develop, implement and manage the daily to three-month business plan
- Monitor, analyze and forecast operations performance
- Identify and mitigate risks / realize opportunities
- In consultation with the Supervisor, support stakeholder relationships and/or needs internally and externally
- Operate successfully in a multi-tasking environment with changing priorities
- Identify and implement business and / or productivity improvement initiatives
- Capture and apply lessons learned.
- Coach and mentor team members
- Build, engage, lead and motivate cross-functional teams.
- Set priorities for and coach team members to meet agreed deliverables
- Stay calm under pressure – obtains timely input before making decisions
- Make hard decisions while maintaining the respect of others
- Collaborate with peers and engage cross-functional support to establish business plans, achieve business results and drive business improvement
- Communicate and conveys ideas and information, both verbally and in writing, in a way that brings about understanding, commitment and results
- Promotes co-operation, collaboration and partnership between individuals and groups
- Demonstrates ownership and commitment to delivering business outcomes and benefits. Holds self-responsible for problems and delivery of results
- Demonstrates a positive and proactive attitude towards change
- Committed to strive for continuous improvement and demonstrated ability to apply learnings
Our comprehensive and flexible benefits, competitive compensation, incentive, and rewards programs form the foundation of TransAlta’s excellent employment proposition.
Become part of our TransAlta team today! We look forward to reviewing your application. All applications will be reviewed in a timely manner to the best of our abilities. We appreciate your patience and understanding during the recruitment process.
Our commitment is to attract and retain the best talent. Some positions may require the successful completion of one or more background checks such as criminal, medical, or compliance. If these verifications are needed, they will be indicated on the job posting.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
As TransAlta continues to navigate through unprecedented challenges from the COVID-19 pandemic, we want to assure prospective employees of our continued commitment to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace and that we are taking additional measures to help protect our employees and their families from contracting and spreading COVID-19.
All employees hired, or who begin employment, after November 15, 2021 must provide proof of full vaccination as a condition of employment. Those applicants with appropriate exemptions must identify themselves at the time of interview and provide documentation of the exemption to the TransAlta Disability Management team prior to an offer of employment being made.
Our Commitment to Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion
It is our collective mission to ensure that every single employee feels a sense of inclusion and belonging and can show up to work as their true authentic self. TransAlta is committed to hiring a diverse workforce including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and members of the LGBTQ2+ community. TransAlta believes that diversity enhances the quality of its performance, is an essential element to effective corporate governance, and cultivates a strong workplace culture. Click here for our Diversity and Inclusion Pledge.
TransAlta has received certification from Diversio, a technology company setting the global standard for equity, diversity, and inclusion, for its continued commitment to and meaningful performance on ED&I in the workplace.