Evolugen, Brookfield Renewable’s Canadian business, is seeking an experienced, innovative and execution-focused Director, Origination. Reporting to the Vice President, Trading & Marketing, the Director, Origination will lead the commercialization of Evolugen’s energy products and contribute to developing comprehensive and innovative offerings for clients seeking to reduce their carbon footprint. The Director, Origination will also contribute to strategic growth objectives including development of hydro, wind, solar, storage and hydrogen projects and commercial strategies for Evolugen’s existing renewable portfolio of assets in Canada.
Strategy, origination and proposals
- Commercialize Evolugen’s development projects, energy generation, environmental attributes, including its inventory of Renewable Energy Credits.
- Develop and execute an outreach and origination plan based on customer segmentation and ongoing market analysis, aimed at contracting Evolugen’s new and existing wind, solar, hydro, storage and hydrogen projects.
- Originate opportunities for renewable energy development projects throughout Canada.
- Develop strategic approaches, innovative offerings, proposals, budgets/pricing, and presentations for use in current and prospective client interactions.
Customer-centric approach, building relationships and tailored customer solutions
- Through a customer-centric approach and close management of customer relationships, including key influencers and decision makers, deliver customer energy solutions including long-term renewable energy contracts, Request for Proposal responses, structured transactions.
- Build a network and manage relationships with potential energy off-takers including regulated utilities, cooperatives, municipal utilities, government agencies, merchant LSEs, commercial and industrial (C&I) customers, and municipal, university, school and hospital (MUSH) customers.
Commercial structuring, negotiating and pitching
- Contribute to commercial structuring and negotiation of offtake agreements including Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) and innovative customer solutions by evaluating and managing key commercial provisions and protecting and enhancing revenues, in coordination with the various teams at Evolugen (i.e. Asset Development, Legal, Capital Markets, Operations, etc.).
- Lead key marketing initiatives and pitch presentations in collaboration with senior leadership to deliver consultative solutions to potential clients, win business and close deals.
Market analysis, market development and regulatory
- Maintain a good understanding and knowledge of Carbon markets, policies and regulations.
- In coordination with Policy and Regulatory teams, support the drafting of filings for submission at government and non-government power agencies in support the organization’s objectives
- Participate in trade groups, conferences and industry associations to enhance Evolugen’s visibility as a preferred supplier of renewable power and promote future business.
- Collaborate with the Energy Trading team in analyzing and implementing regional trade strategies to maximize Evolugen’s asset value.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to establish, sustain and foster professional relationships and consistently build and nurture a broad network of potential customers.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to originate, structure, negotiate and close PPAs, other offtake arrangements and renewable energy transactions across multiple power markets, customers, and deal structure types.
- Solid commercial mindset to balance customer and business needs to develop innovative customer solutions including long-term PPAs and other offtake arrangements.
- A collaborative leader and team player that works well across an organization and builds performance alliances through ongoing coaching and development.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act with strategic and tactical agility to develop a comprehensive marketing plan to support the overall commercial objectives of the organization.
- A sense of urgency, and a roll-up-your-sleeves, hands-on approach.
- Must exhibit a high level of integrity and thrive on the challenges of a fast-growing, rapidly-evolving, and complex market.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Engineering or an equivalent field; an MBA would be an asset.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant industry experience in commercial outreach, origination, commercial structuring and business development.
- Experience in the power sector, specifically renewables, and strong understanding of the energy markets, with proven experience leading the design, development and implementation of commercial strategies in the North American market.
- Strong professional network and an actionable contact-list of decision-makers with potential offtakers including regulated utilities, cooperatives, municipal utilities, government agencies, merchant LSEs, C&I and MUSH customers.
- Availability to travel across Canada regularly.
- Strong passion and experience in renewable energy development.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and successfully.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including effective presentation skills and the ability to address customer requirements and concerns.
- Knowledge of French language is an asset.
You’ll want to join our team for:
- The competitive compensation package
- Opportunities for professional growth
- Our health, dental & paramedical benefits
- Our retirement savings plan
- Our new LEED-certified office
- The on-site gym & bike storage room
To apply for this position, please click here.
Who we are:
Evolugen is Brookfield Renewable’s Canadian operations business. We currently own and operate 61 renewable energy facilities across Canada, including 33 hydroelectric facilities, 4 wind farms, and 24 solar sites, for a total installed capacity of 1912 MW. Following decades of growth as Brookfield Renewable and the launch of our new identity in 2019, we have been focused on developing and operating our renewable energy portfolio in Canada. As an industry leader, our mission is to develop and deploy sustainable solutions designed to accelerate our transition to a low-carbon future in Canada. Located in close proximity to Parliament, Evolugen’s beautiful head office boasts bright open-concept workspaces, floor to ceiling windows and is home to approximately 450 high-calibre professionals, who serve multiple Brookfield Renewable companies. Here, our team manages all our Canadian renewable power facilities, in addition to pursing development opportunities across the country.
Evolugen embraces and promotes the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Indigenous peoples and other persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. We also provide accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request. If contacted to proceed to the recruitment process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.