At PCL, you are more than just an employee. You could be part of a team that works hard, plays hard, and makes a difference in your community. PCL offers competitive compensation packages, and a chance to be an owner in our 100-percent employee-owned company. We not only reward you financially, but give you challenging assignments and a supportive work environment which promotes personal and professional growth.
Whether you are looking for a corporate or construction career, exciting opportunities are waiting for you. Our people have helped us stand out as a leading general contracting organization, which is why we are always looking for new talent-individuals who can bring innovative solutions and thinking to every project.
We are seeking an experienced Project Design and Commissioning Manager . This position would be located out of Calgary, Alberta .
- Reviews overall concept design, detailed layout and DC electrical design.
- Reviews overall substation concept design, and works with substation and PV engineers to co-ordinate the flow of information and optimize design details.
- Participates in estimates to secure new work.
- Reviews and understands the contract and subcontracts, including understanding risk and risk mitigation plans.
- Manages design development with external design consultants as well as the commissioning program.
- Assists with troubleshooting during PV and HV testing and performance testing during commissioning.
- Works with local utilities and grid operators with the development of connection and energization documentation.
- Assists with development of manuals and commissioning plans documentation.
- Attends site walks, commissioning kick off meetings and training sessions, and provides technical assistance during project execution as required.
- Assists with project administration correspondence and complies with documentation requirements relevant to solar farm installation and construction projects.
- Identifies and discerns root causes associated with nonconformances and reports to project team.
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the Project Execution Plan (PEP).
- Provides input on schedule development and implementation to the project team.
- Stays current with industry practices and technologies and seeks new and innovative construction methods and processes.
- Assists in collecting and analyzing historical information and benchmarks.
- Identifies success stories and lessons learned and shares with estimating and project team for continuous project life cycle improvement.
- Understands and actively manages client project-specific success criteria (CPSSC); specifically understands owners’ business, requirements, and revenue generation, and provides solutions.
- Supervises, directs, coaches, trains, and mentors direct and indirect reports.
- Develops and maintains strong customer-focused relationships with all stakeholders.
- Values and models the solution provider and profitability culture.
- Other duties as required.
- Postsecondary diploma/engineering degree in a related discipline or relevant industry/trade background.
- 7 to 10 years of progressive experience with 2 years of experience in utility-scale solar project construction.
- Knowledge and application of health, safety, and environment principles/procedures/ legislation. Demonstrated experience in implementing a strong safety culture.
- Knowledge of utility-scale solar construction industry, including building materials, construction specifications, methods in conjunction with procedures, safety, and quality management practices for more complex projects or scopes.
- Knowledge of project construction law and building codes, with the ability to leverage such knowledge.
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills, with the ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage project budgets, create and schedule a project.
- Understanding of contract and subcontracts with an ability to manage contractual obligations and responsibilities related to project scope.
- Ability to identify and manage risk and opportunities on solar construction projects.
- Understanding of insurance, bonding, and legal requirements.
- Ability to monitor and forecast trade resources for possible schedule impact and direct accordingly.
- Experience with the identification of installation priorities to trade contractors and preparation of schedules (including start-up, commissioning and closeout).
- Ability to manage and lead the start-up commissioning process.
- Ability to understand weather impacts on construction activities, including seasonal constraints on the commissioning process.
- Ability to identify and solicit internal or external support to solve construction challenges.
- Experience and understanding of the change process in relation to cost/pricing and schedule impact, with the ability to track system related change orders.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders and decision-makers.
- Ability to collaborate with and influence designers and engineers on complex projects.
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Knowledge of virtual construction software and tools.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability and willingness to travel for out of town commissioning projects.
The PCL family of companies are consistently ranked among the best companies to work for, and we aspire to be the most respected builder, renowned for excellence, leadership, and unsurpassed value.
Let us help you build your Legacy today.
To apply for this position, please go online here. Position will remain open until suitable candidate is found.