Evolugen, Brookfield Renewable’s Canadian business, is seeking an experienced, innovative and execution-focused Director to join our Asset Development Team. Reporting to the Vice-President, Asset Development, the Director, Solar & Storage will lead the development of Evolugen’s solar and energy storage assets in Canada. Focused primarily on solar development projects, they will contribute to Evolugen’s renewable energy transformation as we look to support our strategic growth objectives and our mission to create a low-carbon future. As a key member of the Asset Development team, the Director, Solar and Storage will act as a leader within the organization, working collaboratively with professionals across all aspects of project development, from origination through to the commissioning of the assets.
- Identify solar and energy storage opportunities in Canada;
- Develop and maintain strong networks with solar and energy storage industry representatives and key stakeholders to promote Evolugen as an important developer in Canada;
- Support the negotiation and commercial structuring of commercial and technical aspects of a project or transaction.
- Advance permitting submissions with local and provincial authorities;
- Manage the Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) Tender Package preparation with internal resources and external subcontractors;
- Execute the EPC Tender process and select successful bidder toward EPC contract execution;
- Oversee EPC contract execution, including procurement, detailed engineering review, construction monitoring up to the transfer of the asset to the Operations team after commissioning of the assets;
- Monitor performance of completed projects (construction and first two operating years) to assess performance against underwriting assumptions.
You should apply if you have:
- Experience in project development and acquisitions with a strong commercial and technical background;
- A well-established network of on the ground developers, government representatives, financial stakeholders and customers in the renewable energy industry;
- Knowledge of the permitting and interconnection process in Canada, with a focus on Alberta and Ontario.
- Strong business acumen; ability to quickly assess the potential value, risks and returns of a business opportunity and prioritize development and acquisition opportunities;
- A demonstrated ability to manage projects while also leading a team of project managers and analyst in the development of multiple assets;
- A professional and thorough approach to project development and acquisitions, with a strong understanding of technical, financial, policy, regulatory and commercial drivers;
- Experience taking utility scale and distributed renewable energy projects from conception to completion;
- A strong team approach; ability to work with different teams in the organization to ensure sound management of project development and acquisition opportunities from the identification process to the integration of new assets in the organization
- The ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and to adapt quickly to changing priorities
- A high level of initiative;
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Are willing/open to travel.
- University degree in either Engineering (Electrical Engineering preferred) Finance, Management or other relevant related discipline;
- Significant experience in leading cross functional teams, in advancing complex projects and transactions from preliminary evaluation to transaction closing;
- 10 years of experience in renewables, 5 years minimum in solar project development;
- Strong technical background on large scale solar project design, namely project layout optimization and energy yield analysis, LCOE modeling, major component selection (PV Module, Inverters, Transformers, Racking – fixed and SAT) and procurement, AC and DC collector design, racking and pile design, storm water and road design, substation/switchyard design, SCADA, Security Systems and CCTV, Performance Testing and Commissioning
Considered an asset:
- An advanced degree in either Engineering, Finance, Management or other related discipline;
- Functional French;
- Knowledge of rooftop systems, building integrated carports, microgrids and other smaller scale applications;
- Understanding of the electricity markets in Canada, notably in Ontario and Alberta;
- Technical background on battery energy storage technology and projects. Able to opine on battery technology selection and to engage with BESS suppliers on a commercial and technical basis.
You’ll want to join our team for:
- The competitive compensation package
- Opportunities for professional growth
- Our health, dental & paramedical benefits
- Our retirement savings plan
If you are interested in this position, please apply online here.
Who we are:
Evolugen is Brookfield Renewable’s Canadian operations business. We currently own and operate 61 renewable energy facilities across Canada, including 33 hydroelectric facilities, 4 wind farms, and 24 solar sites, for a total installed capacity of 1912 MW. Following decades of growth as Brookfield Renewable and the launch of our new identity in 2019, we have been focused on developing and operating our renewable energy portfolio in Canada. As an industry leader, our mission is to develop and deploy sustainable solutions designed to accelerate our transition to a low-carbon future in Canada. Located in close proximity to Parliament, Evolugen’s beautiful head office boasts bright open-concept workspaces, floor to ceiling windows and is home to approximately 450 high-calibre professionals, who serve multiple Brookfield Renewable companies. Here, our team manages all our Canadian renewable power facilities, in addition to pursing development opportunities across the country.
Evolugen embraces and promotes the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, Indigenous peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. We also provide accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request. If contacted to proceed to the recruitment process, please advise us if you require any accommodations.