Capital Power is dedicated to delivering Responsible Energy for Tomorrow. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates dependable, cost-effective and innovative electricity solutions to power a sustainable future.
As a group of experts and innovators in our field, we’re taking a leadership role in developing renewables, improving thermal generation efficiency and supporting the development of carbon capture, utilization and storage (CCUS) solutions to support a low-carbon energy system.
Join us in powering a clean energy future!
Capital Power Corporation is currently seeking an energetic, proactive and results-oriented individual to join our Renewables team.
The Operations Coordinator, Whitla Wind is accountable to the Whitla Site Manager and is responsible for assisting the Site Manager in carrying out site duties and activities at the Whitla Wind Facility in Alberta. These duties include subcontractor management, supporting on-site inspection, planning, coordination, and oversight of overall operations at the Whitla Wind site and other western Canadian Renewables sites as required.
Key accountabilities include:
- Management and coordination of day-to-day renewable operations at Whitla.
- Promote, adhere to, follow, and enforce with contractors, Capital Power safe work practices, policies, procedures and standards.
- Completion of operator rounds, identification of issues and taking action to ensure subcontractors resolve those issues.
- Oversight and management of subcontractors safe, efficient, and quality of work on site. This includes the main Wind Turbine O&M subcontractor on site, Substation and High voltage sub-contractors, road maintenance and snow removal contractors, high voltage work on balance of plant, road maintenance, on site consultants and other subcontractors as needed.
- Management of safe work permitting and LOTO with contractors.
- Execute physically demanding inspections up Wind Turbines at heights in excess of 100m and around the site. Inspections include climbing wind turbines, lifting, and carrying tools, standing for long derations, and walking around the site as required.
- Implementing, updating, and maintaining activities to site safety programs and work practices.
- Creation, modification and updating of site operations procedures and work instructions as needed.
- Maintaining exceptional site performance including low lost production factors, high availability, and optimized production.
- Highly responsive to site failures, unplanned outages, and emergent situations and acts with a sense of urgency around the clock when required, 24/7, in coordination with the Site Manager. This includes supporting other sites as required.
- Ensure compliance with and optimization of facility performance within obligations contained in commercial contracts, regulations, permits and licenses.
- Manage the Maximo work management system including compliance to work order completion dates and preventative maintenance completed on time.
- Adhere to Renewable Operation’s procedures, policies, work instructions and standards.
- Proactive approach to maintenance and operations, foresees potential issues and prepares for or makes changes to avoid negative outcomes with equipment or other site factors.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationship with contractors at Whitla site and other Renewables sites.
- Develops and maintains strong landowner relationships.
- Trades certificate as a Lineman, Electrician, Power Systems Electrician, equivalent journeyman trade, or a related Diploma.
- Current Electrical safety certifications, fall arrest certifications or confined space certifications considered an asset, not required.
- 2-4 years’ experience in operations or maintenance of high voltage equipment. Experience with operations and maintenance of a wind farm considered an asset, but not required.
- Managing subcontractors from a safety, workmanship, and efficiency perspective.
- Understanding of the many aspects of utility scale power plant operations.
- Working knowledge of OH&S requirements, work permitting management.
- Experience working on an industrial site or field work.
- Experience with and comfortable working at heights.
- Lock out Tag out, equipment isolation and management of LOTO process.
- Experience with Vestas Turbines considered an asset.
- In depth electrical knowledge and experience, particularly with high voltage systems and equipment.
- Excellent planning and execution skills.
- Knowledge and experience in power systems, electrical equipment specification, HV systems.
- Ability to troubleshoot electrical equipment alongside engineering and HV subcontractor to find solutions.
- Team player and able to work with various support groups at corporate head office.
- Good decision-making skills in urgent situations without full information, in consultation with the Site Manager.
- Highly resourceful, able to regularly work independently with strong understanding of procedure adherence and can make decisions without reliance on manger.
- Process oriented with excellent communication, both written and oral.
- Ability to inspect and investigate various mechanical or electrical equipment.
- Strong attention to detail and takes pride in producing high quality work.
- Industrial site.
- Physical mobility and ability to use PPE required.
- Will require physical demanding inspection activities such as climbing Wind Turbines over 300 feet tall.
- Will include travel 20-50% of the time, dependent on the time of year, and required support for other Renewables sites.
- Work in all weather conditions and seasons as needed.
- Involves emergency callouts on short notice, after hours. Required to respond to site within 30 mins and reside within close proximity to the Whitla O&M building (O&M Building located to the west of Maleb, AB, between Bow Island AB and Foremost AB).
- In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
- As this is a safety sensitive position, clearance of a pre-employment drug & alcohol test is required.
- Capital Power employees are eligible for a $1,000 Referral Reward for this position!
- We’re committed to providing a meaningful work experience that challenges you to be your best at every stage of your career with us. You will be empowered to take on opportunities you never thought you would.
- We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellness program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
- We’re passionate about our employees and proud to foster a culture that values diversity; realizing an inclusive and diverse team is paramount to help grow our company and power the future. We’re proud to foster an environment where employees go home safe every day feeling physically, emotionally and financially supported.
How to Apply:
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in Capital Power. We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.