Capital Power is dedicated to delivering Responsible Energy for Tomorrow. Headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, we’re a growth-oriented North American power producer that creates dependable, cost-effective and innovative electricity solutions to power a sustainable future.
As a group of experts and innovators in our field, we’re taking a leadership role in developing renewables, improving thermal generation efficiency and supporting the development of carbon capture, utilization and storage (CCUS) solutions to support a low-carbon energy system.
Join us in powering a clean energy future!
Are you passionate about Renewables? Do you want to be a part of our journey towards net carbon neutral before 2050?
If you are looking to make a difference, this is your chance!
Capital Power Corporation is looking for a Trailblazer for our Solar projects in Alberta.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Renewables (Canada) the Manager, Solar Canada will be responsible for refining and implementing a Solar O&M program at sites in Canada and is on site Capital Power representation to oversee and manage contractors required to operate and maintain solar sites , including the main O&M contractor. The Manager, Solar Canada is accountable for site safety, profit and loss, planning, coordination, and management of operations at Canadian solar facilities for Capital Power, Strathmore AB (40MW) and Enchant AB (75MW) sites, both being constructed currently.
- Management and coordination of day to day solar operations.
- Developing, implementing, managing, updating, and maintaining activities to site safety programs and work practices.
- Inspect sites regularly and conduct operator rounds.
- Achieve safety, environment, generation, O&M spending, and EBITDA targets.
- Oversight, and onsite representation from Capital Power and quality control of the main O&M contractor, vegetation management contractors and other contractors as needed.
- Be proactive in minimizing damages to equipment as a result of weather events or other adverse external threats to the site.
- Respond to site alarms, emergencies, and production loss events promptly and with utmost urgency.
- Ensure sites are secure 24/7 and manage access.
- Proper interpretation and application of contracts, approvals, permits and licenses to ensure adherence and accurate application.
- Effective inventory management, ordering of parts, OEM warranty claims and management and holding of spare parts.
- Regularly analyze site performance and take actions to optimize maintenance activities, generation, and downtime.
- Prepare regular reports on site activities, KPI’s and variances.
- Work closely with engineering to develop and run an effective reliability program including proactive maintenance activities.
- Ensure compliance with contractual, regulatory and the grid system operator obligations.
- Coordinating and working collaboratively with external stakeholders, First Nations, landowners, community groups and local governments.
- Effective site vegetation management that ensures adherence to environmental and local regulations.
- Assist with annual budgeting and Long Term planning.
- Compliance with safety practices, policies, and procedures of CPC.
- Management and oversight over work permitting and LOTO on each site.
- Assist with purchase requisitions, purchase orders, receiving and payment of invoices.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with corporate support groups such as Finance, Environment, Regulatory, EMOC, Work Management, Supply Chain and Analytics.
- Monitor, maintain, and comply with operating licenses, permits and regulations.
- Post-secondary Degree specializing in Engineering, or Certified Engineering Technologist, or Diploma in a related Engineering field.
- Also, would consider Electrical field trades certificates such as electrician, linesman with the related experience.
- Broad understanding of all aspects of power generation sites and the power generation business.
- Good project planning and execution skills, results driven and have a high aptitude for safety culture.
- Ability to independently make good decisions and take accountability for decision outcomes while also being aware of when decisions need to be escalated, with recommendations, to the Sr. Manager of Renewables Canada.
- Knowledge and experience in operational control systems, power systems, electrical equipment, High Voltage systems.
- Continuous improvement and change management skills to identify solutions, write procedures/work instructions and implement.
- Experience with, and ability to manage and oversee safe work permits and Lock Out Tag Out.
- Critical thinking skills with excellent communication, both written and oral.
- Strong computer skills, particularly in Excel, Power Point, and managing Maintenance management systems.
- Ability to build and manage strong relationships and work in a collaborative and consultative manner.
- On an industrial site.
- Physical mobility and ability to use PPE required.
- May include travel up to 50% of the time, primarily between solar sites.
- Support of other renewables sites at times will be required.
- Outside of a Monday to Friday schedule, irregular work hours may be required periodically.
- In order to be considered for this role you must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
- As this is a safety sensitive position, clearance of a pre-employment drug & alcohol test is required.
- Capital Power employees are eligible for a $1,000 Referral Reward for this position!
- We’re committed to providing a meaningful work experience that challenges you to be your best at every stage of your career with us. You will be empowered to take on opportunities you never thought you would.
- We offer a highly flexible benefits and wellness program, comprehensive onboarding and training, and various development opportunities to support your success and personal growth.
- We’re passionate about our employees and proud to foster a culture that values diversity; realizing an inclusive and diverse team is paramount to help grow our company and power the future. We’re proud to foster an environment where employees go home safe every day feeling physically, emotionally and financially supported.
Amount of Travel:
How To Apply
Capital Power only accepts resumes via online application at www.capitalpower.com/careers. If you choose to submit your resume by any other means, we cannot guarantee that your application will be considered for vacancies.
Thank you for taking the time to apply and expressing interest in Capital Power. We wish that we could personally respond to everyone who applies; however, it is our practice to contact only those individuals selected for interviews.
Capital Power is committed to providing a fair and transparent hiring process. We recognize and embrace the value of diversity and hire employees with the appropriate skills, experience and knowledge for each position.